A River Thames Guide - Woolwich
The death of London's docks was sudden. In the early 1960's they appeared
to be vibrant, powerful and the workers able to exert considerable political
influence. Then, in 1967, soon after a record breaking year, the East
India Dock closed. The following year The London and St. Katherine Docks
went the same way. In 1970 the Surrrey Commercial closed followed by,
in 1980, the West India Docks. In 1982 the Royal Docks were the last
Apart from the social changes that the closures caused it also left
huge areas of land derelict and unused. Something clearly needed to
be done with all this land. The decision was made to convert the area
into a giant enterprise zone which would attract companies from over
crowded city areas and provide attractive, new accommodation in an area
close to the centre of London.
First old wharves and warehouses began to be converted into apartments,
then consideration was given as to how best to revive the actual docks.
The London Dockland Commission was set up to oversee the great change.
The flagship of Docklands is the Canary Wharf development. A huge office
complex of 86 acres with, at it's heart, Canada Tower, an immense fifty
storey sky-scraper, 800ft tall and designed by American architect Cesar
Peli. It is the tallest building in Britain and dominates the London
skyline for miles around. The tower can be seen from Canvey Island to
Windsor. It has 3,960 windows and 4,388 steps. It has 32 passenger lifts
which take 40 seconds to go from bottom to top. The tower is designed
to sway 13 and three quarter inches in the strongest wind and 27,500
tonnes of British steel and 500,000 bolts were used in construction.
Not everything has gone as smoothly as developers would have wished
and many schemes such as the River Bus and Canary Wharf itself have
been beset by financial problems during the recession.
Many companies have taken advantage of the need to radically alter their
production processes and combined that with a move to new Dockland premises.
This has allowed them to embrace new technology within a whole new environment.
The print industry is a good example. Very few newspapers now remain
in Fleet Street, several having moved to new, "hi-tech" Dockland sites.
The changes in Dockland are most evident on the Isle of Dogs, with it's
sky-scraper and Dockland Light Railway, however, the Royal Docks have
not been omitted from the change. London City Airport is situated there
and The Docklands Light Railway has been extended to there in order
to allow better access. Changes on the south shore, in the old Surrey
Docks have been based more on accommodation than business and many houses
have been built in the public as well as the private sector.
Regent's Canal Dock
The Regent's Canal was begun in 1812 to provide a link between the terminus
of the Grand Union Canal at Paddington and the Thames at Limehouse.
It passes through Stepney, Hackney, Islington, Camden and Regent's Park.
Built by James Morgan, it opened in 1820. It has 40 bridges and 12 locks.
The entry onto the river is at Limehouse Basin. The dock had some ten
acres of water and four acres of quays.
The Limehouse Cut is a canal which links Limehouse with the Lea Navigation,
it is about a mile and a half long.
For some time the basin was unused, however, now owned by British Waterways,
the basin is open and provides a gateway to the whole of the inland
waterway network from the lower reaches of the Thames. The basin of
the dock is now in use as a marina. On the Thames side of the lock is
the Barley Mow pub. This occupies what used to be the dock masters house.
Between the Isle of Dogs and Wapping, is Ratcliff, possibly named from
the Saxon for "red cliff" due to the red colour of the soil there. From
the 14th century this riverside area became busy with all manner of
maritime occupations. Ship builders and chandlers flourished by the
river. In the reign of Elizabeth I, Sir Hugh Willoughby (1553), and
Martin Frobisher (1570's), set sail from here on their voyages to the
Ratcliff Cross was a most important location for watermen to ply for
hire and Pepys often crossed the river here. The Cross itself probably
stood on Narrow Street. This point was a welcome sight for sailors entering
London as it marked the entry into the Lower Pool, and thus the end
of the voyage.
This hamlet grew up alongside Ratcliff. By the middle of last century
the population had reached 12,000 but this dropped to 9,000 when the
extension of the London Docks into the Shadwell Basin meant the demolition
of many homes. Of the two churches which can be seen from the river
the more ornate of the two spires is St. Paul's, on the Highway. In
the previous church on the site Wesley preached on five occasions. The
present church dates from 1820 and was built for the parishioners who
were mostly seamen and dockers. The other church is St. Mary's, Cable
The history of Limehouse closely reflects that of the neighbouring parishes
and seamen and the river have played a big part in the growth of this
community. The name derives from the large number of lime kilns or houses
that were in the area. Dickens was a frequent visitor to his godfather's
house near St. Anne's, where he was rector. Limehouse also had a reputation
as a home for immigrants. "Lascars", the name then used for Indians,
had a thriving community, however, it was the Chinese who became the
most famous of the newcomers. Limehouse was the first "Chinatown" in
London. The community consisted mostly of sailors working for the Blue
Funnel Line around 1890. They did not number more than a few hundred
but the antics of some drug users and gamblers was sensationalised by
the press and so their reputation grew more than perhaps it deserved.
St. Anne's Church, Limehouse
In 1724 this church was built standing in open fields. Designed by Hawkesmore
it has survived fire and wartime blitz and boasts the highest church
clock in London. The church is still an impressive landmark to vessels
navigating up Limehouse Reach and it is easy to see why sailors viewed
it as an important landmark. In old prints the church is seen flying
a white ensign, apparently, a privilege granted by the Admiralty to
mark this fact. It is also said that babies born whilst at sea on a
British vessel, would be baptised and the birth registered at St. Anne's
when the ship docked.
King Edward VII Memorial Park
This park lies on the north shore. Laid out in 1922, it is on the sight
of the old Shadwell Fish Market. Close to the Rotherhithe Tunnel ventilation
shaft is a memorial to navigators; Stephen and William Borough, Sir
Hugh Willoughby and Martin Frobisher who set sail on their voyages to
the northern seas from close by Ratcliff to search for the legendary
North West Passage route to Cathay.
The Grapes Pub
This 16th century riverside pub is on the Highway. It is said to be
the pub on which Dickens based "The Six Jolly Fellowship Porters" in
his novel "Our Mutual Friend" which was set on and around the river.
The pub has been recently renovated in a traditional style and has a
Dickens Room and a balcony overlooking the river. It is also said that
the press gang would operate from the back room of the pub. The "volunteers"
would be taken straight from the pub, put on board a ship and would
wake up at sea.
The Prospect of Whitby Pub
Built in 1520 this pub was originally called the "Devils Tavern", perhaps
because of it's associations with pirates and villains. In 1777 it changed
name to the "Prospect" after a Whitby registered collier which was something
of a local landmark. Dickens, Whistler and Turner were all customers
here. Also, allegedly, an unknown plant was sold here to a keen gardener
by a passing seaman and so the first fuscia entered the country.
Now mainly known for the tunnel across the Thames, Rotherhithe or Redriffe
as Pepys knew it, dates back to at least Saxon days. The name probably
derives from "redra" meaning sailor, and "hithe" meaning haven. From
the 14th century a maritime community flourished here. During the 100
Years War, Edward, the Black Prince and John of Gaunt ordered that a
war fleet be fitted out here. Later much of Rotherhithe was given over
to the Surrey Docks.
Near the Scanic Hotel and the Greenland Dock entrance to the Surrey
Docks is Nelson Dock House, an 18th century mansion and dry dock which
was once owned by a family of ship builders, it was named after the
hero of Trafalgar soon after the battle.
The Surrey Commercial Docks
The Surrey Docks were built upon the old Howland Great Dock, which was
opened around 1700 and owned by John Howland. The dock covered ten acres,
had berths for 120 vessels and was separated from the Thames by a lock.
In 1763 it was sold and became the Greenland Dock and home to a fleet
of whalers. The Greenland Dock was later absorbed by the Surrey Commercial
complex which had nine docks and a three and a half mile canal; which
is all that was ever built of the proposed Surrey Canal. The canal was
supposed to have linked the Thames with the Wey, at Epsom. Unfortunately,
it never got past Peckham. When the whaling industry declined the docks
dealt in soft woods from the Baltic. When the Surrey closed in 1970
it covered a total of 120 acres. In 1943 the South Dock was emptied
and used for the construction of Mulberry Harbours for use in the "D
Day" landings. The old docks are now used as a marina and for water
The large bend in the river is known as Cuckold's Point. This used to
be marked with a pair of horns mounted on a pole to commemorate Horn
Fair which was held at Charlton. The story is that King John gave the
fair as a concession, along with all the land from the point to Charlton,
to a miller whose wife he had seduced after a hunting trip. The horns
are the sign of a cuckolded husband. The steps adjacent to Canada Wharf
are still known as Horn Stairs. Also at Cuckold's Point were hung the
bodies of river pirates as a grisly example to other wrong doers.
Free Trade Wharf
Whatever you think of it's architectural merits, Free Trade Wharf certainly
grabs the attention. The complex is supposed to resemble a sailing ship.
The name originates from the philosophies about commerce and navigation
of Adam Smith. The original wharf was known locally as the "Madhouse".
Completed in 1908, this tunnel between Shadwell and Rotherhithe is 4,860ft
in length and 48ft below the high water mark. The tunnel was built by
Sir Maurice Fitzmarice. During the building some 3,000 people had to
This was to be the first ever tunnel ever built under a river. Tunnelling
began between Wapping and Rotherhithe in 1827 after much planning and
discussion as to the feasibility of such a project. The engineer was
Isambard Kingdom Brunel, working under orders and to the plans of his
father, Mark. The scheme using Mark Brunel's revolutionary "Tunnelling
Shield" system cost many lives and was dogged by financial problems.
Work stopped between 1828 and 1835 when the money ran out but was completed
in 1843 with a new and improved shield and after the government funded
the work. The tunnel was for pedestrians only until 1869 when it was
converted into a tunnel for the East London Railway, which ran trains
from Brighton to New Cross Gate and Liverpool Street via Shoreditch.
The line later formed the East London Section of the Metropolitan Line.
The tunnel is 1,200ft in length. Mark Brunel's "Tunnelling Shield" has
been used ever since, in one form or another, whenever it is needed
to tunnel through soft ground or under water. Brunel's original engine
and it's house can be seen in the park at the southern end of the tunnel.
In the late 18th century the river was crowded with ships; all waiting
to unload their cargoes. The whole port acted as a magnet for every
type of thief and villain who knew that easy pickings could be found
amongst the ships which were lying at anchor and unprotected for as
long as two months before being unloaded. The lines of ships that were
waiting for their loads to be discharged either at a quay or by lighters,
stretched for two miles above London Bridge and four miles below it.
Once cargo was unloaded it was not safe because the security at wharves
and warehouses was lax. It was estimated that one third of all persons
working on and around the river were known thieves or receivers. In
short, the place was a paradise for all the "light horsemen", "heavy
horsemen", "scuffle hunters" and "river pirates" and any other of the
rogues, vagabonds, rapscallions and ne're do wells that might choose
to make a living at the expense of agencies like the West India Company,
which, alone reckoned it lost between £150,000 and £230,000 per year
to pilfering. The total amount lost from all companies was thought to
be over £500,000.
Dr. Patrick Colquhoun worked as a magistrate in London and wrote a "Treatise
on the Police of the Metropolis". He advocated enclosed docks where
the unloading of cargo could be properly controlled. He also recommended
the setting up of a semi official force of some 200 armed men, under
a chief constable and responsible to a magistrate, paid for at the government's
expense. The West India Company would in turn pay for a body of men
to police the water and for watchmen on the quays. This force was to
be recruited from sailors and watermen. The river police were thus formed
on July 2nd 1798, making it the oldest police force in the world.
They were called the West India Merchants Marine Police Institute and
their headquarters was at 259, Wapping New Stairs. These men were armed
and led a hard and dangerous life, they worked 12 hour shifts with few
days off. The boats they used were open rowing galleys with two constables
and a surveyor to crew each boat. The original magistrate was John Harriott.
Within a few months, the river police had lost their first officer killed
in action when Gabriel Franks, a "lumper", was shot during the Wapping
Coal Riots, on 16th October 1798. James Eyers was convicted of his killing,
although, it would appear that he did not fire the fatal shot. Eyers
seems to have taken his conviction philosophically, when the judge said,
'may the Lord have mercy upon your soul.' He replied. 'Amen, I hope
The idea was a success and this fine body of men were a great deterrent
to the criminal fraternity. In 1829 Sir Robert Peel organised the Metropolitan
Police but it was another 10 years, in 1839, that the river police became
part of the "Met", as Thames Division.
The work of Thames Division is varied. Their patrol extends from Dartford,
in the east, to Staines, in the west, covering the whole of the river
within the Metropolitan Police area, a total of some 55 miles of river
and navigable creek, in addition, they provide marine expertise to the
rest of the Metropolitan Police and run a national marine intelligence
team, as well as the Underwater Search Unit. At present the division
has four stations and moorings along the river: Wapping, Waterloo Pier,
Hampton and Shepperton with the headquarters being at Wapping. The manpower
is about 140.
The present station at Wapping was built in 1908 on the site of the
original building, giving it a claim to be the oldest police station
in the world. Also at Wapping is a small museum which charts the history
of the river police.
The name comes from the Saxon, it being the settlement of "Waeppa's
People". The land was marshy and had to be drained before it could become
a London suburb. Called by Stow 'Wapping in the Wose' or Wash. It developed
as a riverside village, expanding and changing as the Thames became
more important. The site of Execution Dock was in Wapping. By 1617 Wapping
had it's own church, St.John's. This was rebuilt in 1760 but was bombed
in the blitz and now just the tower remains. Wapping stayed a thriving
maritime community until the 19th century when the London Docks took
over the landscape and the village houses and businesses turned into
warehouses. Wapping turned into a fortress with Brunel's tunnel offering
one of the few ways out.
Dickens based much of his novel "Our Mutual Friend" on the area and
it's inhabitants. In it he makes good use of the time he spent with
the river police at Wapping.
In attempting to pin-point the exact location of this rather gruesome
place there is a problem, it would appear that there are several contenders
for the honour.
Outside of the Town of Ramsgate pub, by Wapping Old Stairs, is a mock
gibbet to signify it's claim to be the site. Alternatively, pictures
exist showing executions taking place opposite the spire of St. Mary's,
Rotherhithe. This would place the dock very close to the site of the
"Captain Kydd" pub (named after one of the site's victims who was executed
on 8th May 1701), and Woods' Pier.
In his "Survey of London", Stow sheds some light on the location and
method of execution. 'From this precinct of St. Katherine to Wapping
in the Wose, (Wash) the usual place of execution for hanging of pirates
and sea rovers, at the low water mark, and there to remain till three
tides have overflowed them, was never a house standing within these
forty years; but since the gallows being after removed farther off,
a continual street or filthy strait passage with alleys of small tenements,
or cottages built, inhabited by sailors victuallers along by the river
of Thames a good mile from the Tower.' This suggests that execution
dock was moved at some time in the late 16th century, (Stow was Born
in 1525), possibly from a site near Wapping Old Stairs to a site close
to King Henry Stairs, a little to the east of Wapping Police Station.
legend has it that the notorious "Hanging" Judge Jeffreys liked to visit
the Angel Inn, Rotherhithe, and watch the gibbetings being carried out.
If this is true then the Judge would have had a splendid view of the
A visitor to the Prospect of Whitby pub will see a hangman's noose from
the river side balcony and some people maintain that this too was a
site for the infamous dock. We know for certain that the bodies of river
pirates were hung in a cage on a gibbet at Cuckold's Point as a deterrent
to others and it seems that the same was done at Blackwall Point. It
appears that criminals were executed at Execution Dock, their bodies
were then taken to these locations, strung up and left to decay. It
would appear that these public executions continued until 1834.
Built in 1870 for George Oliver, it was owned from the 1930's by P.R.
Buchanan and Co. They used it as a warehouse, mostly for tea. This was
one of the first wharves to be converted to apartments.
St. Mary's Church
It would seem that a church has existed on this site since the middle
ages. The present one dating from 1715. It has some quite unique features.
The pillars are ships masts covered in plaster and the altar in the
Lady Chapel and the bishops chair are made of wood from the (Fighting)
"Temeraire". The Captain of the "Mayflower", Christopher Jones, is buried
here as are three of the ships owners. Also buried here is Prince Lee
Boo. He was the son of a cannibal chief who rescued the crew of the
sloop "Antelope" when they shipwrecked off the Pelau Islands in 1783.
The crew brought him to London as an act of kindness, unfortunately,
he could not survive the English winter and he died.
The original inn on this site was called the "Shippe" and was built
around 1550. It was rebuilt in the 18th century and renamed the "Spread
Eagle and Crown". It retained that name until about the late 1960's
when it was renamed the "Mayflower" after the ship which carried the
Pilgrim Fathers to America. "Mayflower" used to moor nearby and when
it left London in 1620, it was from this location. In 1621 "Mayflower"
returned to London. It's Captain, Christopher Jones, is buried in St.
Mary's Church. The pub is genuine 17th century and has a fine view of
the river. It is also licensed to sell postage stamps and also, apparently,
American stamps as well.
Originally a tavern called the "Salutation" and owned by the brothers
of Bermondsey Abbey, the name changed to the "Angel" after the Reformation.
Built on piles over the river, this must have been a great advantage
to any smugglers able to take advantage of the trap doors in the floor.
The "Angel" has a wonderful view of the river from it's balcony.
The Town Of Ramsgate
Situated at Wapping Old Stairs, the pub was formerly called the "Prince
of Denmark". The pub is said to have changed it's name because of the
Ramsgate fishermen who used to land their catch at the steps.
Execution Dock was said to be nearby and the mock gibbet at the rear
of the pub commemorates this fact. Judge Jeffreys was allegedly arrested
at the "Red Cow" pub, Wapping Old Stairs, as he attempted to escape
on a ship bound for Hamburg. He was recognised by a former victim and
had to be rescued from the mob by a squad of soldiers who conveyed him
to the Tower, where he later died. However, it is now thought that the
"Red Cow" was in Anchor and Hope Alley, much closer to Wapping New Stairs.
The cellars of the pub were once used as dungeons for prisoners awaiting
The docks opened in 1805 and for 21 years enjoyed a statutory monopoly
on all goods such as; tea, coffee, rice, brandy, wine and wool which
were not from the East or West Indies (which were handled in their own
docks). The docks had fine brick warehouses and vast brick built, vaulted,
wine cellars all linked by tunnels.
The London Docks were designed by Daniel Alexander who also built lighthouses
for Trinity House and added the colonnades to the Queen's House at Greenwich
in honour of Nelson's victory at Trafalgar.
Cherry Garden Pier
A wonderful name for such a dreary looking place, the name evokes what
it must have looked like in the 17th century when it was a popular place
to visit. It is possible that the name originates from the number of
orchards and market gardens in this area prior to urbanisation. Pepys
left 'singing finely' in 1664, perhaps after a visit to the "Angel"
nearby. From here Turner painted his evocative picture "The Fighting
Temeraire" (1838/9). The painting depicts the Trafalgar veteran, ghostly
white against a flaming sunset, being towed to Beaton's shipyard, Rotherhithe,
to be scrapped. Turner must be allowed a degree of poetic licence in
this painting. According to witnesses at the time, when "Temeraire"
was towed up river she had no masts and was in a dilapidated state,
also, apparently, there was no visible sunset that day and in any case,
if she was being towed up river then the sun could not be setting behind
her. Fortunately, none of this detracts from Turners wonderful painting.
Also at Cherry Garden Pier, ships that needed Tower Bridge to be raised
would give the sound signal of one long, two short, one long. Today
the pier is a base for a pleasure boat company.
Close to Cherry Garden Pier are a series of sculptures depicting facets
of the area. To the east is a bronze figure of a pilgrim as if he is
about to board the "Mayflower". Close by is the Knot Garden, a small
park overlooking the Thames with large sculptures in the shape of seamen's
knots. The third sculpture is the only one that can be seen from the
river. It is a three piece work by Diane Gorvin, called "Dr. Salter's
Daydream". It shows the good doctor seated on a riverside bench watching
his young daughter, Joyce, playing a few yards away by the river wall,
both are watched by their pet cat which sits on the wall and is the
only part of the work which is visible from the water. Doctor Salter
was something of a local hero. He moved to the area in 1898 and was
one of the founders of the "Socialist Movement of Bermondsey" Joyce
was born in 1903 and was educated locally. Tragically, she died when
a child, of scarlet fever. Salter went on to become MP for the area
and his victory was announced by his wife, Ada, the first woman mayor.
Dr. Salter was famous in the area for his good works such as buying
a country house to be used as a hospital for local people. He died of
a stroke in 1945.
The name probably derives from the Saxon, Beormond's Eye (island). He
being a lord, possibly with land in the area. From the Norman era to
the Reformation it boasted an important abbey. The area contains the
second tunnel ever built under the Thames, from Tower Hill to Tooley
Street, it was designed by P.W. Barlow and opened in 1870. The tunnel
was only 7ft in diameter and carried a cable car passenger railway with
tickets costing 2d. 1st class and 1d. 2nd class, it later became a foot
tunnel. The completion of Tower Bridge spelt the end of it's useful
life and it is now a forgotten tunnel used only to carry water pipes
and cables. The tunnel entrance can still be seen on Tower Hill. Barlow's
design remains the basis for tube tunnels today.
On the river front today are the Design Museum and the Bramah Museum
which is devoted to the history of tea and coffee.
Horseleydown Brewery (Anchor Brewhouse)
Founded in 1787 by John Courage, the brewery's dray horses were stabled
close by. In 1987 a life sized bronze sculpture of "Jacob" the dray
horse was flown in by helicopter to Elizabeth Street where it now stands
as the centre piece of a new development.
St. Saviour's Dock.
The dock was named after the patron saint of the monks from the Cluniac
abbey of Bermondsey and they used it as their own port. Stow had this
to say about it, 'In the south end whereof was sometime a priory or
abbey of St. Saviour, called Bermond's Eye in Southwark, founded by
Alwin Childe, a citizen of London, in the year 1081.'
The adjacent Shad Thames is on land formerly owned by the Knights Templar
and the name derives from St. John at Thames.
The area gained notoriety in the last century when it was known as Jacob's
Island. Dickens set the climax of his novel "Oliver Twist" there. It
was in the mud of this disagreeable place that Bill Sikes met his violent
Jacob's Island stood where the River Neckenger (a term for "devil's
neckcloth" or hangman's noose) joined the Thames and was described as
'The very capital of cholera' and the 'Venice of drains' by the Morning
Chronicle of 1849.
Dickens was taken to this unsavoury location by the officers of the
river police, with whom, he would occasionally go on patrol.
Dickens, a shrewd social commentator, gives us a vivid description of
what this place must have looked like in "Oliver Twist": '.... crazy
wooden galleries common to the backs of half a dozen houses, with holes
from which to look upon the slime beneath; windows, broken and patched,
with poles thrust out, on which to dry the linen that is never there;
rooms so small, so filthy, so confined, that the air would seem to be
too tainted even for the dirt and squalor which they shelter; wooden
chambers thrusting themselves out above the mud and threatening to fall
into it - as some have done; dirt-besmeared walls and decaying foundations,
every repulsive lineament of poverty, every loathsome indication of
filth, rot, and garbage: all these ornament the banks of Jacob's Island.'
A local politician attempted to deny the very existence of Jacob's Island.
In reply Dickens gave him short shrift, describing the area as 'the
filthiest, the strangest, the most extraordinary of the many localities
that are hidden in London.'
In 1148 the Royal Hospital and the Collegiate Church of St. Katharine
were founded here by Stephen's queen, Matilda. In the following century
officials from the Tower began to settle within it's limits. A charter
granted in 1442 declared that inhabitants were free from the civil jurisdiction
of the city and the ecclesiastic jurisdiction of the Bishop of London.
The area could grow, free from the restrictions of the city and the
guilds. It proved to be a popular place for immigrants to settle, especially
Flemish weavers and brewers.
There appears to have been some controversy over the building of St.
Katharine Dock. The promoters of the scheme described the area as a
'Collection of hovels inhabited by the lowest sections of the community.'
Other reports showed that it was a thriving and healthy community of
traders and watermen. The lobby for the dock project was strong and
the act to build the dock was passed in 1825. Some 1,250 houses were
demolished and 11,000 people displaced.
St. Katharine Docks
The dock was opened in 1828 having been constructed by Thomas Telford
and Philip Hardwick. The complex consisted of a large basin leading
to two, four acre docks. The distinctive yellow brick warehouses were
six storeys high and their iron columns rose sheer from the edge of
the quay. The lock gates were not large enough to admit the largest
ships and the docks were not a great success. In 1864, the St. Katharine
Dock merged with the London Docks.
The dock closed in 1968 but have now reopened as a marina. Also built
on this site is the Tower Hotel. The sculpture on the river front is
"Girl with a Dolphin" by David Wynn.
Just down river from the dock is the jetty and building of HMS "President".
The headquarters of the Royal Naval Reserve, London Division. It is
known as a stone frigate and has replaced the ship, HMS "President"
moored in King's Reach.
click here for the next section of the Thames
The following publications have been used in compiling this guide book.
A Survey of London, by John Stow. / Dent Publications.
Americans in London, by Nicholas Barton. / Macdonald, Queen Anne Press.
Bluebird, by Martin Summers. / Collectors Books Ltd.
London River, by Gavin Weightman. / Guild Publishing.
London Under London, by Richard Trench and Ellis Hillman. / Guild Publishing.
London's Lost Riverscape, by Chris Elmers and Alex Werner. / Viking.
London's River, by Michael Leapman. / Pavilion.
London's Secret History, by Peter Bushell. / Constable.
London's Waterway Guide, by Chris Cove Smith. / Imrie, Laurie, Norie
Mayhew's London Underworld, by Henry Mayhew. / Century.
Old London, by Edward Walford. / Alderman Press.
River Thames, / London Tourist Board and the Thames passenger Service.
Rogue's River, by Frank Martin. / Ian Henry Publications.
The London Encyclopaedia, by Christopher Hibbert and Ben Wienreb. /
Book Club Associates.
The Lost Rivers of London, by Nicholas Barton. / Historical Publications
The Shorter Pepys, by Robert Latham. / Guild Publishing.
The Tower Of London, by Derek Wilson. / Constable.
The Wonderful Story Of London, by Harold Wheeler. / Odhams Press.